Our long awaited TV series GRILLAÐ – which basically means, “Barbequing” aired last night here in Iceland. At the same time we celebrated the publication of a book that carries the same name and features the recipes from the show – plus many more.
So it was a great day and we´re on cloud nine to say the least.
Here is a recipe from the show – it´s a grilled tuna – ridiculously good to say the least.
Hope you enjoy,
Firecracker Rubbed Grilled Tuna with Grilled Vegetable Asian Noodle Salad
Ingredients for Firecracker Tuna Rub
- 4 dried chipotle peppers
- 4 dried round chili peppers
- 4 dried habanero peppers
- ½ cup cumin seeds
- ¼ cup dried oregano
- ¼ cup paprika
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
For Tuna Edging:
- ½ cup white sesame seeds
- ½ cup black sesame seeds
Ingredients for Asian Noodle Dressing:
- 8 ounces / 227 grams of thick Japanese noodles (Udon)
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- fresh cilantro, chopped
Ingredients for the Grilled Vegetables:
- zucchini, (sliced lengthwise in ¼” strips from the center (leaving the seed core to be discarded. See video.)
- red sweet peppers, seeded and cut into quarters
- yellow squash, cut into long slices with seed core remaining in the middle
- yellow sweet peppers, seeded and cut into quarters
- orange sweet peppers, seeded and cut into quarters
- extra virgin olive oil
- freshly ground salt and pepper
- Heat oven to 400° F / 200° C
- Stem and seed all the dried peppers.
- Place peppers, cumin seeds, and dried oregano on a baking sheet and roast them in the oven for 4 minutes.
- Grind the roasted pepper/spice mixture in a food processor or spice mill until finely ground. Put finely ground mixture into a bowl, add paprika and salt to this, and combine well.
- Place rub mixture on a plate. Coat tuna filets on both sides, leaving the edge clean (the edge will be coated in black and white sesame seeds).
- Mix black and white sesame seeds together and place in a small dish.
- Carefully take the filets and coat the edges (rim) of each one in a mixture of the black and white sesame seeds.
- Set the rubbed/edged tuna filets carefully aside on a plate while you prepare the Asian Noodle Grilled Vegetable Salad.
- Put thick Japanese noodles (or pasta of your choice) into a pot of boiling water and cook according to package directions (generally about 10 minutes).
- Drain the noodles, rinse in a colander, and set aside.
- Grill the vegetables quickly on a hot griddle, about two minutes on each side, blackening the outside of the peppers, and grilling the zucchini and squash until golden. Vegetables should be tender but still slightly firm.
- Remove the vegetables from the grill and scrape the thin blackened skin off the grilled peppers.
- Roughly chop the grilled vegetables and place them in the bowl with the Asian noodles.
- Whisk together the salad dressing ingredients. Pour the dressing over the noodles and grilled vegetables, tossing to combine with the dressing.
- Grill tuna filets on hot griddle for about one minute on each side to sear it.
- Remove from grill, slice filets into strips and serve atop Asian Noodle Grilled Vegetable Salad. Enjoy!
No related posts.