It´s officially April – which in this household will be dedicated to our health. My goal is to shed those six pounds that I´m still carrying around since giving birth to our daughter eight months ago. The Chef – well he really has no excuse but he needs to loose some weight to – and just improve his diet all together. Things have been so hectic around here for the last three months (did I say three months – I really meant three years) and what happens is that you start eating on the run, forgetting to eat (not me though) and just grabbing something on the go.
We do eat good food though for the most parts. Like every morning we make fresh veggie juice that just sets the tone for the rest of the day. I honestly couldn’t do without it. It´s a bit time consuming and cleaning the juicer is my least favorite household chore… but the juice – it just gets me going (as well as my whole body). It contains cucumbers, ginger, celery, red beets, apples, grapefruits, lime and oranges. It tastes great and I really really love it.
So again to April: the health month. Because of Vollis ridiculously fast metabolism he´s going to be in tip top shape in a bout a week. For me – well it´s going to take a lot more than that – like a miracle (and some self discipline!). But I really have no plausible excuse. I live in the frigging Bahamas so it´s not like I´m not snowed in or freezing to death… I have two legs, I know how to run – and I have a few dogs that would love to go with me…
Ok – enough of me planning – it´s time for action and the food of course has to follow suit. So thins is one of my favorite recipes and it comes with a video tutorial. It´s a garbanzo pita with avocado spread. It´s really light and tasty. I eat it both for lunch and dinner…
Hope you enjoy,
Garbanzo Pita with Avocado Spread
- 1 (15oz / 425 gr) can chick peas, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup / 120 ml cheddar cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup / 60 gr tortilla chips
- 3 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 tbs cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/8 tsp ground cumin
- 1 large egg white
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 2 tbs tomatoes, finely chopped
- ¼ red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbs sour cream
- 1 tbs fresh lime juice
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 2 (6-inch / 15 cm) pitas, each cut in half
To prepare patties, place pinto beans in a medium bowl. Add cheese, tortilla chips, scallions, cilantro, cumin and egg white and mash together thoroughly. Form into 4 (½-inch thick) oval patties.
Heat canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add patties, cook 3 minutes on each side or until patties are browned and thoroughly heated.
To prepare spread, while patties cook, combine the avocado, tomato, red onion, sour cream, lime juice and salt. Place 1 patty in each pita half. Spread about 2 tbs avocado spread over patty in each pita half and fill with lettuce and cilantro.
Preparation time: 15 min.
Cooking time: 6 min.
Watch the Video:
More Great Recipes
- SMOKED SALMON & FINGERLINGS POTATOES Oh yes! It´s time for some fancy Sunday finger food...
- Guacamole with Cilantro and Jalapeno A simple but delicious Guacamole recipe. Takes only about 10...
- FRESH SCALLOP CEVICHE With Mango, Chili & Tomatoes marinated in Coriander and Citrus...
- Pico de Gallo This Pico de Gallo is just perfect with tortilla chips...
- Mango Black Bean Salsa This simple salsa goes well with just about anything!...